Forget Botox®, if we exercised our facial muscles, we would look years younger than our age while maintaining muscle tone.
We head to the gym to exercise our body muscles, so why don’t we give our facial muscles a workout on a daily basis?
Giving these muscles a regular workout, (that excludes talking and eating), give our face tone, fewer lines and wrinkles, a more relaxed appearance and may even lead to fewer headaches.
A great way to take your face to the gym and also relax is with facial massage. Ever wondered why your Aesthetician spends ⅓ of the treatment time on massaging your face, neck and decolletege? It has more benefits than relaxation, skin becomes more hydrated, circulation is improved, detoxification is optimized and yes, that is right, muscle tone is improved.
If you consider an ageing face, the tissue under the skin known as subcutaneous tissue diminishes with age along with the muscle tone becoming weaker leading to jowls and a flatter, more tired appearance. Most individuals head straight to the Medi Spa to have dermal fillers to increase volume and yet if we were to practice some facial exercises, this may lead to lesser filler being needed or increasing the age when fillers and muscle relaxants are required.
The face and neck have 57 muscles that need regular exercise which can be performed in the privacy and comfort of your own home. Every time you use your facial muscles to make a facial expression, whether a smile, frown or scowl, muscles are moved. If you consistently make the same expression, a line will form perpendicular to the movement and eventually wrinkles are formed. Facial exercises move all muscles, even the muscles you move less, improving skin tone, appearance and facial shape.
Spending 5-10 minutes a day exercising your facial muscles may lead to a more youthful appearance
Here are some easy to perform daily exercises. Start today, take a photo and in 6 months time compare with another photo. I’m certain, you will be pleasantly surprised.
- Start with sitting comfortably in a chair and gently look up towards the ceiling. Take 3 deep ‘yoga’ breaths. Being mindful of the inhaling breath pushing your stomach out and the exhaling breath relieving all tension in your upper body
- Raise your eyebrows and hold for five seconds
- Open your mouth as wide as possible. Feel your neck muscles working out?
- Gently close your mouth and then purse your lips and hold for five seconds
- Repeat steps 3 & 4 five times
- Stick your tongue out and hold for five seconds
- Using three fingers on each hand, hold at hairline on forehead and gently lift forehead with fingers five times
- Using your three fingers, press down on your cheeks and smile as hard as you can to raise your cheek muscles against your fingers
- Twitch your nose as much as you can from side to side.
- Release all tension from your face and perform 3 more “yoga” breaths to finish your workout.
Practice gratitude daily for optimal results and visit your Aesthetician regularly for a healthier and happier skin.
Have gratitude for the time you are able to spend on you – you are worth it.